CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 6, 2008

Mexican Scarecrow

So, I made a very regular scarecrow. He was cute and garden-like with a straw hat with fresh greenery stuck along the side and some yellow flowers hanging out of his pocket, and a bandanna around his neck. I had a Mexican dream the night after making the scarecrow. Then, I saw one of the other scarecrows being carried into the school that morning, and it looked very "normal" like mine, and it was good, too. So, I started thinking about how we could make ours more unique before I had to take it up to the school that afternoon. We went Mexican. It was definitely unique. (Not pretty, but unique.)

That evening at the parents' meeting, I found out that pretty was better than unique and creative when it comes to scarecrow judging. Either that, or the scarecrow judges at Olivia's school are prejudice against Mexican scarecrows.

Billy had seen the normal scarecrow the night before when he finally made it home, and he thought it was really cute and that I did a good job. Then, after the meeting, I told him that we didn't win the contest (or even place in the top 3), and he looked at the pics and said, "No wonder. He's ugly in the face." Poor Mexican scarecrow. I think he's cool.







He had a holster on, but you can't really see it in the pics. He was a lawman.

Maybe the judges didn't like the way it looks like he's sitting on the stick.

Next to our scarecrow, you can see the other "normal" scarecrow. It didn't place, either. The ones that won (1st, 2nd, and 3rd) were all small (kid-size) and not really special - or even that good. I would have picked 3 totally different winners. There were a couple of really cute little ones, like one that had a paper bag face and jewels for the face features and yellow yarn braided like a little girl. It was cute.

0 comments: