CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Flying High

Monday started out a typical day...Natalie went to school; Parker and Olivia were trashing the house; I was overwhelmed and tired and busy...

Ninny (Billy's mom) called in the late morning to ask if she could pick up Natalie from school a little early so that she could go flying. I said that would be okay, and I asked what time they were flying. After I said she could go, I knew that my dad would be disappointed because he was waiting to be the first one to take Natalie up in his plane, but I hated for her to miss the opportunity to go with Ninny. Anyway, she was supposed to go around 11:30, and when it was around 11:00, I decided that I would put coats on Olivia and Parker and try to make it to the airport in time to photograph Nat's first plane ride. I rushed around to get us there, and it turned out that the pilot wasn't going to be there until 12:00, so I would have had plenty of time to get us ready properly. The kids were a mess, and Parker didn't even have shoes on.

Well, as I sort of expected, my mom and dad showed up to see Natalie's first flight. Of course, Dad had to inspect "the other guy's" plane and talk airplane talk with the guys for a while. Papa (Billy's dad) went to the store to get Parker a pair of shoes while we waited. Bart (plane owner and friend) said that Olivia and Parker could fly after Natalie got back, if they wanted to.

So, Natalie went for her first small plane ride with the pilot and two friends who work with Ninny. She loved it. It was probably actually a good thing that she went up in the air for the first time with someone else in the plane besides the pilot, because when she goes up with Grandpa, it will be just the two of them. Now, she knows what to expect.

After Natalie's flight, Olivia and Parker were ready to fly. Of course, I had to go with Parker because he would have freaked out when he realized that I was staying on the ground while he went up. Then, there was going to be an extra seat, so of course Dad had to ride along. He said he hated to see an empty seat. Parker loves airplanes, and he was thrilled to be there. It's so exhilarating as you taxi and get ready to lift in a small plane. It reminded me how much I'd like to take lessons and get my pilot's license. It's just so expensive and time consuming - maybe when the kids are older. I saw our house from the air, and I discovered that the CLEET facility (law enforcement training) has a massive concrete slab that they must use for driving training. I so badly want to get out there on it and do some "stunt" driving.

So, Natalie didn't seem at all surprised to be taken out of school early to go for her first flight. She's used to spontaneous plan changes. I'm getting used to it because I have to with the kids. It really was a fun day, even if I didn't plan it. :)



Waiting for Grandpa to finish his inspection of the plane.

Nat was getting ready to board, and I yelled for her to look over at me. She raised her hand up in a peace sign as she looked over at me. I happened to catch it. I was giggling. She looked like a celebrity. I think she's probably seen them do that to the paparazzi or something. It was just funny. She just did it like she always gets photographed boarding a plane.


Saying a prayer, I think.



Getting Started.

Taxi.

In the air (sort of an obvious caption, huh?).

0 comments: