CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 29, 2008

Prescribed Popsicles

I just got back from the ER with Olivia a little bit ago. Her fever was just staying too high to let it go without her being checked out. By the time I took her in, just after another icy pop and cold cloths, it was still 102.9. She loves going to the doctor, so she was happy about the hospital visit. She just couldn't show her happiness too much. She looked so pathetic with her eyes hardly open and her bright red cheeks, but she was trying a little smile. They administered some more fever reducer in the ER, and they sent us home with "the pink medicine", as the girls call it. They always want "the pink medicine". The Dr. prescribed that, fever reducer, lots of fluids, and popsicles. He doesn't think the phlegm she's coughing up/throwing up is a problem in her chest. She also has pharyngitis, and he thinks the cough is just from that. Mostly, I took her in to make sure it wasn't or wouldn't go into a pneumonia.

When the nurse finished giving me the medication and instructions, I told Olivia it was time to go home. She didn't want to leave. She was laying in the bed, and I only got her to leave by explaining that she could have "the pink medicine" when we got home, and that the doctor said she needs to get lots of rest and eat a lot of popsicles. She really likes that idea. She's on the couch watching a Dora DVD and having an icy pop right now.

Time will tell if Parker will get knocked out with this same stuff. I don't think I'll get anything again, because it's probably the same strain that I had a couple weeks ago. Also, Nat had a terrible sore and swollen throat last week, so she may not get the same way Olivia is with this. Nat may have been fighting it off at that point - or even the week before that when she had terrible fever for several days. Hopefully, Billy will keep from getting it. He's already been to the ER once this week with a hyper-extended knee. He's wearing his good knee brace and taking some meds for that. He was supposed to be resting his knee, but he went right back to work anyway.

Happy Little Notes:

Parker is so sweet to his sisters - most of the time. He helps Natalie and Olivia get ready in the mornings. When Nat was getting ready for school this morning, he looked like her little butler. He stood there and waited for her to get her PJ's off, and he took them right to the laundry room after he handed Nat her panties to put on. Then, when he got back from dropping off the dirty clothes, he handed her the shirt and pants. He stood patiently waiting for her to be ready for her socks. Then, he asked where her shoes were, and he took them to her. He asked me if she needed a jacket, and he took care of that too. He's just too sweet. He helped take care of Olivia all day, too. I saw him fixing her blanket for her several times, without anyone saying anything. He just pays attention to what people need, and he's such a good helper.

Last month, we were all excited when we were looking at the animals at the park and one of the peacocks opened his feathers and strutted. It was the first time all three of the kids got to see that in "real life". It was funny because we were about to drive away, and Nat had just said about two minutes before that maybe the peacock would open his feathers. I said that they probably wouldn't, because they didn't do it very often. I was really surprised that he did it right after she said that.

Less-Than Happy Notes:

Since last spring, Natalie and I have been waiting for soccer season to start. We talked about it last year and she got a pink soccer ball to play with, and we decided that she could try soccer this year. Well, I was looking through some homework papers that the teacher had sent home (ones that had been completed and sent home for us to keep), and I found a newsletter that listed the soccer sign-up date and cost. We missed it by one week. I didn't say anything to her, because I didn't think she would think about soccer if we just didn't talk about, and I didn't want her to be disappointed. Well, a couple days later, I asked her if she would want to go try out gymnastics sometime. She said, "Well, I really want to do soccer instead." I had to tell her that I had missed the deadline for this year. She was upset, and I told her I was sorry and that I just didn't know about it in time. Anyway, I think I might schedule a little private session with a gymnastics instructor so Natalie and Olivia can see what gymnastics is all about. They probably won't love it as much as dance, but it will be fun just trying it out anyway.

I have been trying so hard to remember something that one of the kids said a couple weeks ago that was just so funny and surprising, but I can't remember. I hate that. It drives me crazy.


I had to stop in the middle of this blog to help Olivia clean up after another phlegm episode. I started another wash of towels and her blankets. Just took this pic of the patient. I can tell her fever has reduced, because the redness in her cheeks is gone. Hopefully, she can get some good sleep tonight.

0 comments: